Musing Monday (Nov. 24)

Well I'm very excited to be writing up my first go around at Monday Musings - I hope the questions are up to snuff and that I don't overlap with previous weeks - though I'm sure you'll let me know if I do!

How do you feel about wide-spread reading phenomenons - Harry Potter, for instance, or the more current Twilight Saga? Are these books so widely read for a reason, or merely fads or crazes? Do you feel compelled to read - or NOT to read - these books because everyone else is?

Pleave a comment with the link to either your own Musing Mondays post, or share your answer here (if you don’t have a blog). Thanks!



I don't know about the rest of you, but I tend to think that if a book (film, issue, whatever) is receiving public opinion, then it's probably for a reason - whether good or bad. And it's really hard to have an opinion on these these if I haven't read them myself ... and what can I say, I like to have an opinion! I don't necessarily feel 'compelled' or 'required' to read such books, but the community aspect that comes from having done so is always nice.

I remember when the Harry Potter series was in it's first wave of insane popularity. I remember being so excited to see little kids (though, to be honest, they probably weren't all that much younger than I was at the time) reading - and so voraciously. The excitement that surrounded the reading of these books was amazing - and still is.

Twilight would definately have to be the HP of the moment. I hadn't intended to read the series at first, but was told quite firmly that I "had too", "simply MUST" read these books by the kids I had for my first prac this year. Every week they'd check - "Have you read it yet???" I figured I had to just to get some peace - so I guess there was some compelling there...

I like the same community aspect that has grown up around these books (though it's definately narrower that that of HP). I went on an excursion with some Year 12 students from my second prac this week and every time we stopped for a drink or a break of any kind (even when we didn't stop) they'd all gather around each other - "where are you up too?", "oooh, the next part's GOOOOD!", "don't you just love it when...", "...yeah, she likes the kissing parts too."

I guess the difference between a fad or a craze and a phenomenon or cult classic is it's staying power - and that only time can tell.

23 comments :

Brooke from The Bluestocking Guide said...

I gave my opinion as to the staying power of the books. Thanks for hosting.

Musing Monday 17

Suzanne said...

I was going to wait til tomorrow but since you already have it up, I figured I'd post too! Here's mine: http://storytimewithtonya.blogspot.com/2008/11/monday-musings-book-fads.html

gautami tripathy said...

Thanks for hosting. I like the questions!

My Musings

Sherry said...

Great question. I know I'm premature since we're located in Northern California and it is still Sunday morning here, I have already posted a response.

My Monday Musing is here.

Unknown said...

Thanks for taking over MM, Rebecca! Great prompt - here's my link: My Muse and Me

marineko said...

http://marineko.blogspot.com/2008/11/musing-mondays-reading-phenomenons.html

Melody said...

Thanks for hosting, Rebecca! Here's my answer. :)

Ladytink_534 said...

Great question! Here's my musing.

Lisa (Southern Girl Reads) said...

Good Morning everyone! Mine's up here:

www.southerngal-lisa.blogspot.com

Beth F said...

Mine's up. Thanks, Rebecca for hosting!!

http://bfishreads.blogspot.com/2008/11/musing-mondays-gotta-read.html

Beth F said...

Oops. No auto link. Let's try again: mine's here.

Anonymous said...

Mine is up.

http://madbibliophile.wordpress.com/2008/11/24/musing-monday/

Anonymous said...

Mine is here. :)

Anonymous said...

Ooh, good one! I'm pretty passionate about this question.

My answer is here!

Anonymous said...

Thanks, again, for hosting, Rebecca! Today I'm just playing! :D HERE is my own answer! ;)

MizB

Anonymous said...

Great question! I've stubbornly resisted to read "popular fad" books in the past, but that was my own silly mistake! I love them -- and yes, I love Twilight!

My musing is here! Thanks!

Book Lover Lisa said...

Good question. Thanks for taking this over, I enjoy it. My answer is here

Anonymous said...

Great question! I really enjoyed writing this post (my first Monday Musings!) Here's the link.

Anonymous said...

Awesome question! I'm excited to start participating! My answer is at:

http://greatbooksandfreshcoffee.blogspot.com/2008/11/musing-mondays.html

Dani In NC said...

Here's my take on this week's prompt:

http://averagegirlreads.blogspot.com/2008/11/musing-monday-reading-craze.html

The Bookworm said...

Hi, here's mine:
http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/2008/11/musing-mondays-1124.html

Kathleen said...

Great first question. Here's mine: http://smsbookreviews.blogspot.com/2008/11/musing-mondays-hp-and-twilight.html

Anonymous said...

Late, as usual.

http://elizabethwillse.wordpress.com/2008/11/25/musing-monday-1124-reading-phenomena/