Mini-review Catchup #1

I’ve decided the best way to catch up would to just do some mini-reviews over the week or so.

 

Ariel – Sylvia Plath
81 pages; published 1965

This was my first exposure to Sylvia Plath, which I was rather surprised about – you’d think I would have come across her in one class or another. I absolutely LOVED Plath; I adored the beautiful melancholy of all her poems. Favourites from this collection include: The Applicant, Lady Lazarus, Tulips, A Birthday Present, and Years. 4/5

 

Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood – Rebecca Wells
356 pages; published 1996

Wells - Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya SisterhoodFrom the first time I saw this movie I was a huge fan – and when I learned it was based on a series of books, I very quickly tracked down the first one Little Alters Everywhere. This is the second in the series, and the one the movie was based on – though if you’re a fan of either the book or the movie I’d highly recommend reading the rest. Told through a series of interconnected stories, Divine Secrets throws you into the deep end of a family and leaves you to move with the eddies that constantly churn between them. 5/5

6 comments :

DanaB said...

I remember that I liked the Ya-Ya movie...I knew there was 'a' book but didn't realize it was a series!
~

Trisha said...

DSotYYS fell into my lap when I was attending a school in Mexico. I adored it and ended up reading it twice in one month. I'm not sure exactly why it appealed to me so much, but it did! Glad you liked it too.

Ladytink_534 said...

I've heard of Plath for a really long time but I've never actually read anything by her. I'll have to check that out. I LOVE The Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood series! They're such good books. Haywood Smith writes a series with a similar feel to it. The first one is called The Red Hat Club.

PeachyTO said...

I've had Ya-Ya on my shelf for ages, and had no idea that it was the second of a series. I'm so glad I've seen your post, because now I will force myself to get the first one from the library, and then read the one that's been on my shelf for far too long. Cheers!

Elisabeth said...

I just reviewed the third in the Ya-Ya series - it was great!

Anonymous said...

I didn't realized that The Divine Secrets was part of a series. I borrowed the book from the library a little while ago, but ended up having to return it unread. I'll have to go back and read the first book the series, then try The Divine Secrets again :)