Lights... Camera.... Vampires!

Twilight: The Complete Illustrated Movie Companion
Mark Cotta Vaz
141 pages; published 2008



The mantra of the movie makers was to be faithful to the novel. Meyer, who approved the final screenplay … also saw the advantage of the old adage of a picture being worth a thousand words – long passages of text where Bella describes the beauty of Edward’s face could be summed up in a single shot, for example. “We just took the book into film language,” Hardwicke [the director], explained. “The novel had to go through the condensing machine for a movie; we had to boil it down to its essence…”






Having an obsessed 18 year old “Twilighter” in the house, this book has been sitting around for about a month now and, seeing how I went to see the movie last week, I was finally able to read it.

The book mostly covered the finding the various locations and the actual shooting of the film - though every once in a while an interesting piece of information (such as the mechanics of Edward dinting the truck) or the invention of a Cullen family crest, would find it’s way through.

Interviews with the director and producers were all smoothly integrated into the behind-the-scenes information. However, I would have liked to see more interviews with the cast and Stephenie Meyers if possible. Also, further information on the writer’s translation from the book to movie would have been good.

For the most part, I’d have to say that it’s aimed more at a fan of the movies than a fan of the books (it is, after all, a movie companion). And with it’s beautiful glossy photographs and clean easy layout it’s sure to be a top seller for Christmas. 3/5







Other Reviews
Have you written a review for this book? I would love to include it, comment below and I'll add your link!

4 comments :

Literary Feline said...

I tend not to read books like this, but I can see why fans of the movie might appreciate it. This would make a great last minute gift for my friend who loves everything Twilight. Thanks for the review!

Katie said...

I've been toying with the idea of picking this up for myself. But I'm also an obsessed fan :)

Ladytink_534 said...

I want, I want, I want! They had it at Walmart for $15 when the film came out but I didn't get it then. :o( I LOVE movie books so this is on my wishlist (something Santa didn't bring :( ).

Rebecca Johnson said...

Literary Feline: Yeah, I'm not usually a movie companion book reader wither, but it's hard not to read something when it's your non-reading sister shoving it at you, gotta keep in the spirit.

Katie: If you're obsessed, then I say go for it :)

Ladytink: Isn't a shame that Santa doesn't shop at Walmart? What you need to do is set up a wish list with the North Pole branch.