Procrastination is my friend!

I have trouble concentrating on things I’m supposed to be doing at the best of times, throw in a heavy dose of sleepiness and it equals bad news for me. I saw this on Elena’s blog (With Extra Pulp) a while ago and it has been sitting in my links list ever since.

If you feel like answering it, please comment cause I’d love to read it!

 

 

1) What author do you own the most books by?
That would have to be Jodi Picoult. I have all of her books except for her latest, Handle With Care.

I pulled them all off my shelf to take a picture (I couldn’t believe it actually took me two trips) and lined them all up nice. The only one not pictured is her next-to-latest Change of Heart (which is currently sitting on my cousin’s bed-side-table) which I’m not too sad about because *sigh* they changed the covers to have a completely purple spine. I’m very sad about this…

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

2) What book do you own the most copies of?

L. Frank Baum’s The Wonderful Wizard of Oz. It’s strange, the film is one of my absolute favourites, but I didn’t enjoy the book as much (one of the few I ever say this about). But I’ve gathered up a little collection of copies – from other people and second hand bookstores. I have one ordinary paperback, one with a thin leather cover, two easy-read editions, and, my favourite, the centennial edition with essays. I currently have my eye on the Annotated Edition.

P5270005

3) Did it bother you that both those questions ended with prepositions?

Well kinda. I noticed it, and yes it bugged me, but not enough to change it. I suppose I’ve learned to ignore it.

4) What fictional character are you secretly in love with?

Henry DeTambleWell that would be a secret, now wouldn’t it. I suppose if I had to own up would have to be Henry DeTamble from The Time Traveler’s Wife (to be played by Eric Bana in the upcoming movie).

If allowed to move beyond the world of books, I’d have to own up to a pretty impressive fangirl-crush on Samantha Carter, played by the amazing Amanda Tapping (“what, no! I would never have guessed that” I hear my unfortunate family saying).

10 memento mori11

 

5) What book have you read the most times in your life (excluding picture books read to children)?

Definitely Little Women, probably followed by either The Little Princess, Heidi or, more recently The Time Traveler’s Wife

6) What was your favourite book when you were ten years old?

Little Women (I know, I know, get a new book to sing about)

7) What is the worst book you’ve read in the past year?
Probably The Origin of Lament by Emma Magenta

8) What is the best book you’ve read in the past year?

Aw, that’s hard. Maybe John Green’s Looking for Alaska, Susan Pfeffer’s The Dead and the Gone or Neil Gaiman’s The Graveyard Book. (wow, I really need to write some reviews…)

9) If you could force everyone you tagged to read one book, what would it be?

That never works. I ‘suggest’ that people read books all the time but I’ve learned that most of the time they’re just not listening to me. Of course, none of them are actually readers, that may be the issue… well, okay, I’ll go with my two favourites, either Little Women or The Time Traveler’s Wife

10) Who deserves to win the next Nobel Prize for Literature?

Eh that’s too hard. I’ll defer to the majority on this one.

 

Inkheart11) What book would you most like to see made into a movie?

I don’t care as long as I’ve already read it, I hate seeing the movie first. For the most part I don’t enjoy the movie as much as the book, though I am looking forward to seeing Coraline, My Sister’s Keeper, The Time Traveler’s Wife, Inkheart and The City of Ember  (I know the last two are already out, I just haven’t gotten to them yet).

 

12) What book would you least like to see made into a movie?

See the above list. I’m very strange (or maybe I’m not, you tell me), I can’t wait to see the movie, but at the same time I’m dreading it.

13) Describe your weirdest dream involving a writer, book, or literary character.

I’m not sure if I’ve ever had a dream involving any literary characters, though scenes from The Dead and the Gone have been plaguing me for the last month (I said I found it disturbing). Though I have plenty of weird dreams, none of them are particularly booky. I do, however, have fully formed Stargate dreams (nerd), that usually become my stories.

14) What is the most lowbrow book you’ve read as an adult?

I’m going to agree with Elena, I’m refuse to believe I’m a grown up. I’m a kid! A kid I tell you! I can play with dolls and grow up to be an astronaut if I want to.

*sigh*

I’m not really sure if I believe in ‘'lowbrow’ books. I think a book is a book and the value lies in whether or not you enjoyed it.

 

15) What is the most difficult book you’ve ever read?

Right now I want to say The God of Small Things but that’s only because I’m currently reading it. I’m not sure, to be honest, if I’m struggling too much with something I usually put it down and come back to it later.

16) What is the most obscure Shakespeare play you’ve seen?

I’ve only ever seen one, a production of The Tempest that I saw while studying the play for my HSC. I loved watching it far more than I enjoyed reading it. The best part of this production was Ariel, darting around in a little business suit. So cute.

17) Do you prefer the French or the Russians?

You ask a question like that and I feel remarkably under-read. On Team Russia, I’ve read Tolstoy and Dostoevsky, while over on Team France I’ve read… absolutely no one that I can think of. I suppose Russia wins by default. (will someone please suggest something French!)

18 ) Roth or Updike?

Oh my goodness, was I really an English major???.

19) David Sedaris or Dave Eggers?

shakespeareI’m going back to bed.

20) Shakespeare, Milton, or Chaucer?

PHEW!!
Shakespeare.

21) Austen or Eliot?

Austen, definitely.

22) What is the biggest or most embarrassing gap in your reading?

Everything, apparently!

Seriously though, I haven’t read as many classics as I would like. As well as a definite lack in world literature – nearly everything I have read was written in Australia, America or England … but I am working on a little plan to remedy this.

23) What is your favourite novel?

Little Women and The Time Traveler’s Wife.

24) Play?

I have seen very few plays (Wendy, I’m thinking we should fix this, you strike me as ‘play person’), and haven’t read many more. I love Oscar Wilde, but I’d probably have to go with Cat on a Hot Tin Roof by Tennessee Williams.

25) Poem?

I have lots. Probably Yeats’ ‘When You Are Old’

26) Essay?

Hmm, can’t say I really have a favourite essay. I do enjoy reading them though.

 

27) Short story?

Don’t really have one of those either, though my favourite short-story author would probably be Neil Gaiman.

28) Work of nonfiction?

Probably Diary of a Young Girl (Anne Frank) or The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch.

 

29) Who is your favourite writer?

Jodi Picoult, Neil Gaiman, Terry Pratchett, Piers Anthony… what? oh, you only wanted one?

30) Who is the most overrated writer alive today?

Oh, I don’t know. I tend to think that even if an author is receiving attention disproportionate to their work then it’s probably for a reason and so that negates the problem… which is kind of a circular argument, so I think I’ll skip this one.

 

31) What is your desert island book?

I would definitely have to go with the book that Wesley got in the final season of Angel. You know, the one that you said the title of, opened it up and voila! whatever book you want. Yeah, I’m a never-ending-packet-of-tim-tam’s kind of girl.

32) And… what are you reading right now?

The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy and Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk.

9 comments :

Teddyree said...

OMG I was going to do this but after reading your answers, it looks way too complicated for me LOL.
Good to see there is another slightly insane Jodi Picoult fan out there who is really cheesed off that the covers have now changed when you've bought the whole bloody set Grrr - I HATE THAT

Pam said...

I absolutely loved The Time Traveler's Wife as well. I had no idea it was being made into a movie. AND with Eric Bana playing Henry. Really? Pinch me now. I have a serious crush on Eric Bana. I'll be first in line to see the movie. Yippee!

Mish said...

I did this meme awhile ago and much prefer the French, not that I've read a lot of Russian lit. Victor Hugo would be a great start.

wendy elizabeth said...

haven't read it all busy busy busy but lik the look of it and your detailed answers. especially like the little table of The Wizard of oz and epecially hated the sentences that end in prepositions, whne I do this meme I'll be doing only the questions I like the look of (hehehe)

Jenners said...

We definitely share a love of The Time Traveler's Wife and Little Women! Two of my favorite books! I can't wait for the movie version of Time Traveler ... but I'm fully prepared to be disappointed!

And I enjoy Jodi Picoult too ... you just never know what her "topic of the day" will be from book to book.

Fun meme!

Lilue said...

Yeah, i just heard that The Time Traveller's Wife is being made into a movie.. I loved that book..

Ladytink_534 said...

What authors do you own the most books by? Stephen King, Anne Rice, & Laurell K. Hamilton.

What book do you own the most copies of?
Dracula and I've never read it. (Love your Wizard of Oz pic!)

What fictional character are you secretly in love with?
Not a secret but Eric Northman from Charlaine Harris' Sookie books (The True Blood guy is awesome too).

What book have you read the most times in your life (excluding picture books read to children)?
Little Women, The Stand by Stephen King, and Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass.

Okay, that's enough for me lol. Great meme though!

Jenny Girl said...

I love Sam too, so you are not alone. Do you watch her new show Sanctuary as well? It's pretty good.

Elena said...

You definitely have me sold on the Time Traveler's Wife now, and I looove Little Women. And I haven't read The Wizard of Oz but I read Wicked by Gregory Maguire, have you read that one? Wasn't the most captivating but worth a read for any Oz fan I think.

Thanks for the link xx

also eric bana is a hottie. he used to be in this skit show on tv here in aus. called fast forward and was hilariously bogan :P