BTT: Gold Medal Reading

You, um, may have noticed that the Olympics are going on right now, so that’s the genesis of this week’s question, in two parts:
First:
  • Do you or have you ever read books about the Olympics? About sports in general?
  • Fictional ones? Or non-fiction? Or both?
And, Second:
  • Do you consider yourself a sports fan?
    Because, of course, if you’re a rabid fan and read about sports constantly, there’s a logic there; if you hate sports and never read anything sports-related, that, too … but you don’t have to love sports to enjoy a good sports story.
I'm going to answer the second question first: 'Do [I] consider myself a sports fan?' ... No. Most definately not. In fact, take no, dial it back a couple hundred degrees and that would probably be getting closer to how much of a sport fan I'm not. I have no interest in playing sport, no interest in watching sport, and no interest in talking about sport. The Olympics being on doesn't bother me because a) I don't watch a lot of tv anyways; and b) because as much as I hate sport, I do believe that out there somewhere (at least so I've heard) there are people who actually enjoy it, so they've got to get there fun somewhere.
That would seem to answer whether or not I've read any fiction OR non-fiction Olympic books shouldn't it.
Strangely enough, however, I have read some sports related books - mostly YA fiction (most recent being Keeper by Mal Peet) - and I can't pass up a good baseball movie (Field of Dreams, A League of their Own, etc) ... not quite sure why that is as I have no desire whatsoever to watch *actual* baseball, but oh well, I'm just weird.

No comments :