BTT: Stories






Am I allowed to say yes AND no? Ideally I'd like a book to be both an interesting story and well written.
I love a good story, no matter what form it comes in. And being one who loves to hear made-up stories off the top of the head, I tend to forgive a lot in the way of technique if I'm enjoying the story. At the end of the day I read for pleasure, to be entertained and it's the story itself that provides that.
Having said that, however, the story actually needs to be readable. I prefer character based stories over ones that are action-propelled. And, being an English-major, I get a great deal of enjoyment out of the "deep literary meaning hidden beneath layers of metaphor". Despite my sister's constant annoyance, I enjoy the analysis, and think it only improves on the story.
I guess that really is just a round about way of saying that I want it all. Yes, I love a good story, but a good story with a bit of depth is even better.

No comments :