The Eyre Affair
Jasper Fforde
384 pages, published 2001
Book 1 in the Thursday Next series


Though I have read The Eyre Affair in the past, I thought I'd reread it since I bought the rest of the series in a recent book buying binge... wait... I wasn't going to admit to that... can I take it back?

Okay let's start again: I have never read this book before and there is no rest of the series sitting on my book shelf and there was no book buying whatsoever. I am firmly sticking to my (stupidly) self-imposed "no new books" policy and as such there was no book binging whatsoever ... now if you'll excuse me, I just have to go and revive Bethany who has collapsed in disbelieve.

On with the review.

Thursday Next, experienced operative in the London LiteraTech (Literary Detective) divison, is somewhat bored with her life: she is tired of her job, can't remember the last time she saw her time travelling father for more than five minutes, and lives alone with her pet Dodo. What she doesn't know, however, is that her world is about to be turned upside down when she is assigned to the investigation of the theft of the original manuscript of Charles Dickens Chuzzlewit. Far from an ordinary case, Thursday meets her arch-nemesis - criminal mastermind Acheron Hades, a man gleefully free of morals and who doesn't pull back from his threats to remove (and forever kill) long beloved literary characters, right off the page.

Though her encounter with Hades is a complete disaster, Hades still feels the need to increase the stakes in their relationship by threatening the integrity (and the live) of a more beloved book/character - Jane Eyre. Without the heroine, the novel will be destroyed forever. Will Thursday be able to save Jane? Can she restore her rightful place? And will she be able to all this and still manage to escape Hades herself? 5/5

1 comment :

Anonymous said...

I loved this book! The rest of the books are just as good. It's a great series, if you haven't read it yet, I highly recommend it!