The real reason…

Last week on MM Diane asked if we read non-fiction differently than fiction. I said that I didn’t read a great deal of non-ficiton and that the only real difference was that I tended to take more notes.

Apparently I lied.

Well, okay, I didn’t really LIE. I simply forgot a critical fact that came crashing back to me when I decided to rectify the ‘I don’t really read non-fiction’ statement. I had to go pick up some research books for my assignment so I figured that, while I was in the library, I’d pick up something interesting and non-fictiony to read.

Then bam! it hit me. I actually read quite a few books of essays. Mostly essays about science fiction (my not-so-secret secret love). At the moment I’m reading Investigating Firefly and Serenity: Science Fiction on the Frontier, a collection of essays edited by Rhonda V. Wilcox and Tanya R. Cochran.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA         So there I was happily reading away when, bam! a bus*. No okay, not a bus, I realised the number 1 reason WHY I don’t read non-fiction for fun. Any guesses? No? They all come with a big list of MORE BOOKS in the back. And, after all, I am a sucker for lists.

The reference list frequently gets photocopied  and I cross them off as I get to them or lose interest. See, non-fiction reading a is dangerous business for me…

P5050014

 

 

* F.R.I.E.N.D.S. fans anyone?

4 comments :

wendy elizabeth said...

Lists? really?I never would have guessed :p pop on over to we read i've got an award for you - it's all abut being warm and fuzzy - it HAD to go to you my flannel friend.

The Book Resort said...

LOL. You are too funny.

Rebecca Johnson said...

Diane: Funny perhaps, but also painfully true.

Jenny Girl said...

You do meant the Jos Whedon show and movie correct? I never watched the show, but the movie I really enjoyed.
THere are some college classes that revolve around Buffy, so finding essays on this doesn't surprise me.
And what is F.R.I.E.N.D.S.?
It is monday morning at the moment and I'm a little tired....at work :)